Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the Pioneer Valley Biochar Inititative Forum

Author Topic: ON "The Way Out"  (Read 3425 times)

rsstein

• Professor
  • Founding Member
  • You Tube Address: rsstein1
    • View Profile
ON "The Way Out"
« on: May 26, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »

Folks,

I should like to call attention to the recently published book, "The Way Out, Kick-Starting Capitalism To Save Our Economic Ass". by L. Hunter Lovins and Boyd Cohn.  This presents a good arguement against the premise of many politicians that there is a conflict between sustainability and economics. It shows how there van be economic benefits and job growth by undertaking sustainable measures.  This is a premise not well appreciated and should be emphasized more by politicians,

It contains a section on BIOCHAR, pp. 199-203 which contains the statement:

"Its few critics notwithstanding, biochar is about to hit big time. Entrepreneurs who have made   
     their mark in other industries are bringing to biochar production the sorts of talents, intellectual     
     capital, and management skills that have taken other technologies mainstream."

While this may be an over-optimistic view, I believe there is more potential than generally realized, and that our biochar group may serve an important role in bringing it to more attention.

I shall attach a posting about this as well as one about  one of its authors, Hunter Lovins, it is of interest that Hunter is a well-recognized environmentalists and one of the founders of the Rocky Mountain Institute in Colorado, along with her former huspand, Amory Lovins, another leading environmentalist and a graduate of Amherst Regional High School in the 1950's who worked for me then as an assistrant on my UMass research project.

I'll also attach a copy of a blog appearing on the web today on "The Sweet Spot of Sustainability".

Regards,
Dick
Goessmann Professor of Chemistry, Emeritus
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Home: 5 Berkshire Terrace, Amherst, MA 01002
Home Phone: 413-549-0245

site administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ON "The Way Out"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »

Here is a TEDx by Hunter Lovins that is on topic: